Thursday, September 19, 2013

"Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent #1
Genre: YA Dystopian
Publication: January 1, 2011
Format: Paperback; 487 pages
Cover Rating: 5/5 Stars

From Goodreads: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

My Thoughts: I know what you're thinking... WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS EPICNESS?! Well... I have no good answer for you. Like so many before it, this book fell to the "Dusty Book Syndrome" as it sat on my shelf for months, that ended up being years.With promises of "Oh, I'll read you next..." while my fingers slide by it's blue spine, grasping it's neighbor instead. It's hopes slowly diminishing as it thinks "Will I ever be read by her?" There's nothing I can say to you Divergent except...



Okay, enough of that. This book was seriously EPIC. It had everything you could possible want in a Dystopian novel, and yet it remained original and pure to it's core. I LOVE Tris. I mean, I seriously love her (#WCW). While we see a lot of badass heroines, there was just something special about her that sets her apart from her other fellow badassians. Maybe it's because she truly is courageous, but not in that forced way. For Tris, having courage and being fearless seems to come natural. She's pretty much amazing.

As for the story itself, well it's chalked full of quality plotty goodness. We have some mega action, mystery, betrayal, and yes, you guessed it: romance thanks to the hotness that is Four (I promise, I will never look at that number the same way again).

Overall, I loved it and I highly recommend it to everyone!

p.s. In case you've been hiding under a rock- Divergent is being made into a movie! Check out the trailer below. Honestly, I'm pretty excited about it! 




My Rating:
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Post a Comment

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.