Tuesday, May 15, 2018

"The Dark Calling" (The Arcana Chronicles #5) by Kresley Cole

Series: The Arcana Chronicles #5
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance/ Dystopia
Format: Audible
Narrated: Emma Galvin
Publication: March 2018 (Audible Version)
Cover Rating: 4/5 Stars
Narration Rating: 5/5 Stars

From Goodreads: In a world teetering on the edge . . .
When Evie receives life-changing—and possibly game-changing—news, she has trouble believing it. Why doesn’t she feel any different? Is it possible someone she trusts might be lying?

With enemies at every turn . . .
Tensions seethe inside the castle of lost time as Evie starts to doubt her own sanity. Answers can be found outside their stronghold, but will Death help her find them—or prevent her from learning the truth about her future and Jack’s possible survival?

Darkness beckons. 
A mysterious, sinister power begins to affect the Arcana in its path. Forced out into the wasteland alone, Evie must depend on unexpected allies. But as a battle with Richter looms, can her new alliance defeat the Dark Calling before hell reigns on earth?

My Thoughts: First of all if you haven't read this series stop reading this review right now and go read it (or listen to it, because Emma Galvin is QUEEN and slays narrating this). Seriously, this is one of my all time favorite series ever. Kresley Cole does an amazing job with the world building, the character development, the ROMANCE, and the non-stop action.

Like the previous books, I couldn't stop listening to The Dark Calling. While I wouldn't label this book as a "filler" book, it is definitely leading everything to the end and starting to wrap up the story. However, my mind was still blown away at the plot twists and I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire thing. We have different POV again, from Aric, Jack and of course Evie, which really helped expand the story and give the characters some more growth. Also, let me just say I have no idea what #team I'm on. Team Jack? Team Aric? Can I be Team Both? Is that possible?! And... I had some serious tears. Like, really. I was cleaning my kitchen listening to this when I screamed out "NOOOO!!!!!" in anguish and scared the crap out of my toddler (don't worry, she's fine). It did break my heart though (no spoilers).  Anyway, I've been waiting on this book FOREVER and it did not disappoint me. I'm just super sad I finished it so quickly and now have to wait for the next one.

As far as the narration goes for the audible version: As I've mentioned above, Emma Galvin slayed it. She has a way of just sucking you right into the story and you completely tune out everything else around you. I'm VERY picky with my audio books. I can't just listen to any narrator and usually have a hard time finding one I love, but Emma Galvin is on POINT, ya'll. She has the best accent for Jack and Aric both. I honestly forget I'm only listening to one person. Definitely can't wait to check out more of her work!

My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Post a Comment

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.