Monday, January 1, 2018

Hello 2018!

So for the past few years I have done a New Year's post. It's nice to look back on the previous year to see what I've accomplished and the goals I want to make for the new year.

Resolutions Completed in 2017:
1. Read 35 Books. 
I actually kicked butt in this one and ended up reading 58 books! Just a few of my favorites:
 







2. I came off my blood pressure medicine!
Okay, this one was really hard and a little tricky. In fact, I JUST came off of it last week. Turns out my blood pressure issue was more of an anxiety issue. So once I got the proper care and started taking an anti-anxiety medicine, I no longer needed the blood pressure medicine. The moral here is always take care of your mental health!

3. I went on vacation!
 Zack and I never really took any vacations alone. We always went with my family. Well, I'm happy to say this year that we went on our very first family vacation to Gatlinburg! It was really amazing- secluded up in a cabin with a hot tub overlooking beautiful mountain scenery. I loved it!

4. I learned to let go of the Mom Guilt (mostly).
Leaving River with anyone caused me a serious plague of Mom Guilt. I couldn't enjoy my time out alone at all. I believe a good chunk of this was my anxiety pre-medicated self, but it also just comes with being a mom. Over the past year I learned to let River embrace spending time with other family members, and to seriously cherish that rare alone time I got. 

5. Find a new hobby that I love.
I have always wanted to learn how to crochet, and this year I planted my butt in front of my laptop and watched a hundred videos on how to crochet! I'm far from an expert, but I know enough to make some pretty rad blankets, scarfs, and hats!

6. Took a vacation alone with my mom and daughter.
This wasn't a resolution I had made, but it was something I never would have thought I could have done before. This probably isn't a big deal to most people, but this was a huge deal for me. My mother and I haven't spent any extended amount of time like this together in over ten years. I'm not going to get into why, but it was a really great, healing trip for me. I rented a cabin in a small town in my state and we were completely surrounded by woods and a hot tub to relax in. It was a really memorable trip for us and I hope we can experience it again this year. Also, I'm not a huge fan of driving, so the fact that I drove the entire trip having no idea where I was going was a huge deal for me.

2018 Reading Challenge:
Besides my Goodreads Challenge, I came across this wonderful reading challenge from Modern Mrs. Darcy
1. My Goodreads Goal is to read 75 Books, but honestly I've learned quality > quantity so I'm not really going to sweat it if I don't make that.
2. Read a Classic
3. Read a Recommendation by Someone With Great Taste
4. Read a Book in Translation
5. Read a Book Nominated for a 2018 Award
6. Read a Poetry, Play, or Essay Collection.
7. Read A Book You Can Read in a Day.
8. Read A Book That’s More Than 500 pages.
9. Read A Book By A Favorite Author.
10. Read A Banned Book.
11. Read a Memoir or Biography
12. Read a Book by an Author of Different Race, Religion, or Ethnicity.

2018 Resolutions:
1. Lose 50 Pounds.
2. Be Kinder.
3. Make Date Night a Priority.
4. Pay Off All Credit Cards.
5. Potty Train River.
6. Cook One Exotic Meal at Least Once A Month.
7. Come Off Anxiety Medication (as long as it's safe!)
8. Cross Off Something On My Bucket List

4 comments

  1. That Darcy challenge sounds great, Sonnie! Best wishes to you in the New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you did really well with your goals this year. That's awesome you read so many books and could stop with your blood pressure medication and switch to anxiety medication instead. It really is very important to take care of your mental health. That sounds like you had a lovely vacation and good that you were able to let go of the mom guilt and enjoy the rare time alone instead. Crocheting sounds like a fun hobby, I might pick it up one day. That's great you learned how to do that this year. Those sound like some great 2018 resolutions, good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lola!!!

      You should try crocheting! It's tons of fun! Anna and I text each other with our projects all the time!

      Delete

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.