Wednesday, February 25, 2015

"The Return" by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Titan #1
Genre: New Adult Paranormal Romance
Format: Kindle
Publication: February 16, 2015 by Spencer Hill Press
Cover Rating: 5/5 Stars

From Goodreads: The Fates are cackling their bony asses off... 

It's been a year since Seth made the deal with the gods that pledged his life to them. And so far, the jobs they've given him have been violent and bloody--which is kind of all right with him. But now Apollo has something else in mind for Seth. He's got to play protector while keeping his hands and fingers off, and for someone who really has a problem with restraint, this new assignment might be the most challenging yet. 

Josie has no idea what this crazy hot guy's deal might be, but it's a good bet that his arrival means the new life she started after leaving home is about to be thrown into an Olympian-sized blender turned up to puree. Either Josie is going insane or a nightmare straight out of ancient myth is gunning for her. 

But it might be the unlikely attraction simmering between her and the golden-eyed, secret-keeping Seth that may prove to be the most dangerous thing of all. 

Because history has once again been flipped to repeat.


My Thoughts: First of all I just want to say that I *love* JLA. She's an awesome writer and I will gladly devour anything she writes. I was also crazy in love with Seth while reading The Covenant series. So, believe me when I tell you that I can't believe I'm about to say what I'm about to say.

I wasn't crazy about The Return. I actually got bored with it. Now here's the thing, I'm pretty sure my pregnancy is messing with my reading personality, so I have no problem saying that you can take this review with a grain of salt, because if I wasn't pregnant, I might would have been raving about it. As it is though, I just didn't like it.

Here's my issues. This is definitely beyond a doubt, a New Adult book, which would be fine, except it has heavy emphasis on the sexy time and less chemistry between the main characters. It felt fluffy, with none of the fun plot The Covenant series possessed. I'll be honest and say that J.Lynn is not my favorite New Adult author, but she writes amazing YA books. I feel like she focuses too much on the smexy romance in her NA, and less on the story behind it. The same goes for this book unfortunately. I honestly think I would have loved it had she cut back on the forced romance and just gave us the same roller-coaster twists and turns as her other YA plots have.

My Rating: 2.5 Stars

Post a Comment

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.