Monday, December 2, 2013

"The Sky is Everywhere" by Jandy Nelson

Genre: YA
Format: Paperback; 277 pages
Publication: March 1, 2010 by Speak
Cover Rating: 4/5 Stars

From Goodreads: Lennie plays second clarinet in the school orchestra and has always happily been second fiddle to her charismatic older sister, Bailey. Then Bailey dies suddenly, and Lennie is left at sea without her anchor. Overcome by emotion, Lennie soon finds herself torn between two boys: Bailey's boyfriend, Toby, and Joe, the charming and musically gifted new boy in town. While Toby can't see her without seeing Bailey and Joe sees her only for herself, each offers Lennie something she desperately needs. But ultimately, it's up to Lennie to find her own way toward what she really needs-without Bailey. A remarkable debut novel perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block.

My Thoughts: I absolutely loved this book and Lennie! It was so beautiful and touching, I couldn't put it down once I started. I laughed, I cried, and I fell in love with Joe. I found TSIE to be refreshingly honest and real. Lennie is such a fantastic heroine because she isn't your typical shy, dorky YA main character. She's outspoken and funny. She talks about boners and being obsessed with kissing, she makes mistakes and she owns up to them as she tries to make her way through the jungle of grief after the death of her sister.

Then you have the chemistry between the characters which is just... wow. So amazing. Between Lennie and Joe/ Lennie and Toby / Lennie and her Grandma and Uncle Big... they all interact so well together, that the story becomes more than Lennie's, it becomes all of theirs.

I truly loved this book and Jandy Nelson's writing. Each sentence was just overflowing with beauty and power and I highly recommend it!

My Rating:
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Post a Comment

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.