Sunday, July 16, 2017

"After" by Anna Todd

Series: After #1
Genre: Romance/ New Adult
Publication: October 2014
Format: Kindle
Cover Rating: 4/5 Stars

From Goodreads: There was the time before Tessa met Hardin, and then there’s everything AFTER... Life will never be the same. #Hessa

Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. She’s got direction, ambition, and a mother who’s intent on keeping her that way.

But she’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, tattoos and lip ring, Hardin is cute and different from what she's used to.

But he's also rude—to the point of cruelty, even. For all his attitude, Tessa should hate Hardin. And she does—until she finds herself alone with him in his room. Something about his dark mood grabs her, and when they kiss it ignites within her a passion she’s never known before.

He'll call her beautiful, then insist he isn't the one for her and disappear again and again. Despite the reckless way he treats her, Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every time she pushes back, he only pulls her in deeper.

Tessa already has the perfect boyfriend. So why is she trying so hard to overcome her own hurt pride and Hardin's prejudice about nice girls like her?

Unless...could this be love?

My Thoughts: I don't know anyway to write this review other than just by being brutally honest, so just try and stay with me as I sort through the complete mind warp that is After. I'll start off by saying I LOVE angsty romance. If you think the amount of angst is just right, I'm the person sitting at the table that's like "No, keep it coming. Just a little more angst please." Example: I absolutely am in love with Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens. It's one of my favorite books ever. Anyway, the point is this book should have been like the holy grail for me. Unfortunately it wasn't.

I started out this book and I knew almost immediately that I was going to have some real issues with it. The main character, Tessa, is over the top, ridiculously naive and "innocent" (seriously, I hated that word in this book). The love interest, Hardin, is a complete asshole. Sorry for the language but there's no other word for it. He is. There are really no redeeming qualities other than he's the guy you tell your best friend to get the hell away from him because he's toxic. The plot is dragged out over a period of almost 600 pages of nothing but them fighting and making up and fighting and making up, over and over again. Oh, and the supporting characters? Basically their just names that move the plot along. No real substance to them at all.

And yet... I read the whole book. There were many, many times that I asked myself "Why are you doing this to yourself? Put this crap down and go read something else." I didn't. I kept reading it and then when I was on that last stupid page I was furious because I knew I was going to turn myself right around and buy the second book.

I know. I'm just as confused as you are. The only thing I can figure out is that After is like that greasy pizza you have on Monday nights when you're too tired to cook dinner. It's quick, mindless, yet satisfying in all it's greasy cheesy glory.

Bottom Line: Despite the fact that I originally wanted to give this book 1 star, I can't. I read it. I finished it and I immediately went and bought the second novel in the series. It doesn't make sense to me either, but ultimately I can't say I hated the book. ....I guess I feel about it the same way the main characters feel about each other. They love to hate each other.

My Rating: 3/5 Stars

2 comments

  1. I am not about that 600 page life and not enjoying the book, but then again like you said I know I shouldn't be eating greasy foods. This book though. I thought for a minute I was reading a review on Twilight. I was like "EDWARD changed his name what?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It started off as fanfiction...for One Direction (sort of. Also, don't judge me on my cougar Harry Styles crush bahahaha) but it also has like some Twilight/ 50 Shades elements too. It's definitely not original. And yet, I can't stop reading it lol. Guilty pleasure, I suppose!

      Delete

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.