Sunday, September 1, 2013

Audio Review: "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern

Genre: Fantasy/ Magical Realism
Publication: September 13, 2011 by Random House
Format: Audible
Narrated By: Jim Dale
Narration Rating: 5/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 5/5 Stars

From Goodreads: The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands. 

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead. 

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.

My Thoughts: This book was so incredibly enchanting and bizarre! I have never read anything like it before, and sadly I doubt I will ever find anything similar to it or it's quality again. I never wanted it to end! I think that this is one of those stories that people will either love or hate, for whatever reason. However, I found myself taking the long way home from work just so I could keep listening to Jim Dale read me this magical tale.

The story has many different view points, sometimes we are actual patrons of the circus, other times we are witnessing individual characters lives of the circus itself (mostly Marco's and Celia's). We also time jump from past to present frequently. It is a bit to keep up with if you're listening to it, but not impossible or distracting, and very much worth the satisfying ending.

The characters are beyond lovable, and the plot careens, twists, and soars into the depths of your mind, carving the tale of The Night Circus firmly in your imagination.

As for the audible version and Jim Dale's narration? It was amazing. It didn't take away from the book at all, and Dale gave my drives home this enchanting quality that I could never have reached had I simply read it myself. Which is a bit odd of me to say, but it's true. There was just something about his voice that made me dive into this world of enchanters, seers, and contortionist.

Overall, I highly recommend the audio version of this book!

My Rating:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Post a Comment

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.