Sunday, January 11, 2015

Series Review: The Sweet Trilogy by Wendy Higgins



From Goodreads Sweet Evil Description: What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?


This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


My Thoughts: My first reaction upon finishing this series was that I just didn't get what all the hype was about. One of my favorite authors had raved about these books, so I went into reading them with pretty high expectations. They weren't terrible. I mean, they definitely held some appeal for me... but they didn't scream "book hang-over" quality.

I did enjoy the fact that there was a lot of Biblical references, and that the plot were pretty original (which we all know is kind of hard to find now days in the YA Paranormal 'verse). However that's about all I can say for my pros list. I just felt "meh" towards every book. 

One of the things that really bothered me was the pacing. The plot felt rushed, the characters chemistry felt a little forced, and in general it seemed like the author didn't give herself time to flush out their relationships, even though the whole series is suppose to take place in a two year time span. There's definitely a bout of insta-love all around, as well. 

Then we have the MC, Anna Whitt. I wanted to like Anna. Really, I did. But she grated on my everlasting nerve most of the time. She was just too much sometimes with her "good behavior" and personality. I felt like the author went over the top with her. 

Bottom Line: Again, these are all just my opinions, and I have friends who loved this series, but it wasn't for me. Would I recommend this series? Maybe as a last resort, but I would definitely suggest getting it from the library and saving your cash for something with a five star quality.

Overall Rating: 3/5 Stars

Post a Comment

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.