Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Forbidden" by Tabitha Suzuma

Before I even attempt to review this amazing, powerful book, I'm going to give you some warnings. This book is not for the faint of heart. It is strong, emotionally gripping, and hard to read. The subject matter is taboo and some people will just absolutely hate it because of that reason. However, if you're like me, some of you will find that the more taboo the subject is, the more powerful it reads. If your one of those people that have a hard time opening up your mind and can't get pass the conservative (for extreme lack of a better word) view point, you might want to pass on this. But, if you're willing to take the emotional plunge, the upheaval, the staying up late into the night beyond disturbed feelings that come with this book... well, let me just tell you, it's worth it.
_____________________________________________________________

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." -Genesis 2:17

Synopsis: Sixteen year old Maya and seventeen year old Lochan have spent the past five years taking care of their three younger siblings while their mother goes out binge drinking every night and stays off for days with her boyfriend. It's hard, but with the support of each other they manage the burden of a family life they never asked responsibility for. Taking on roles as parents, and having no one else to confide in, Maya and Lochan begin to realize that their feelings for each other have gone beyond the brother and sister realm into a completely forbidden place. Their love for each other escalates until it becomes impossible to deny. But when something is this wrong, the consequences will be devastating.

My Thoughts: Despite it's slow start, this book quickly turned into one of the more amazing ones that I have read in a long, long time. As I said before, it was hard, so hard, to read, for many reasons. But I am so... well not happy because this book is not a happy book, but... gratified that I did pick it up and that I did finish it. Despite the very taboo subject of incest, that wasn't what made the book difficult for me, although, I know it will be what makes it hard for others. I grew up reading V.C. Andrew books (which are filled with incest of some kind), so I was, well not use to the subject, but more willing to accept the possibility of it. No, what made this book hard for me to read was the powerful emotions it conveyed. The mental state it brought me. It was disturbing, yes. But you are thrown into one of the most dysfunctional families out there and it really troubles you. It makes you feel things that you are uncomfortable feeling. It sucks you into Lochan's world where there is obvious psychological damage and makes you feel like you are suffocating right along with him. I can't stress enough how psychologically disturbing this book is.  So, why read it then? Because when a book moves you this powerfully, it is making you feel. It makes you alive. It is worth it.

For the more technical aspect of it, I will tell you that it is told in alternating POV's from Lochan and Maya. This does not disturb the flow of the book though. In fact, I think it was pretty pivotal because the depth of their love is hard to accept that you have to see it from both sides, to more fully understand that this is something is beyond consensual. The characters are so real, you will be left heartbroken when it's over. As I stated above, the beginning was slow for me, but once I got sucked in, I couldn't stop; so make sure you have plenty of spare time (so you won't be like me staying up past midnight to write this review when I have a college exam at 7:00 am).

This book relays something so powerful and touching that it will leave you reeling. I loved it and it is now one of my favorites.

My Rating: 5/5 Stars
GoodReads Rating: 4.11 Stars

Teaser Pleasers:
-I am a person coming undone.


-I know how he feels- it's so good it hurts. I think I'm going to die from happiness. I think I'm going to die from pain.


If you liked this book you may want to check out...
Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews



4 comments

  1. Great review Sonnie! I've heard about this book, but it wasn't really on my radar. Now it is! I'll have to put this one on my wishlist. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was amazing! I would definitely recommend it if you think you can handle the more disturbing aspects of it!

      Delete
  2. okay...Tabitha shared this review...I'm soo going to follow your blog from now on!
    This book right here...shredded my heart to pieces...I wasn't able to write a proper review...I think it's been almost 6 months since I've read it and still...cannot...get over the fact of how someone could have written something so amazing and horrific at the same time!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book AND for not having blocked it out like most others did!

    NEW FOLLOWER :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! I about had a mini heart-attack when I seen that she shared my review!

      I completely agree about her writing. It was simply amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on her other books!
      Do you have a blog as well? I'll follow it if you post the link! :D

      Delete

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.