Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"The Ghost and the Goth" by Stacey Kade

It's your typical high school. Cheerleaders, the popular crowd, the goths, the nerds and wannabe's... and of course, the ghosts.

Synopsis: Alona Dare was the "it" girl. She was beautiful, popular, rich, and a cheerleader. Then she got hit by a bus. Now, she can't figure out how to get to the afterlife. She wakes up every morning next to a big yellow school bus and exhaust fumes with the same gym clothes on that she wore when she died. She watches as all her friends move on without her, including her best friend and boyfriend. Life Death sucks. Until she catches Will Killian laughing at her. Because if he can laugh at her, he can see her. Now Will's got the dead cheerleader bugging him for help while he tries to convince his mom and therapists that he's not crazy. Of course, it would be easier if the evil spirit that has been attacking him for months would go away and stop shoving him down every time they meet. Then again, if he can't figure out how to escape it, it might just take him and Alona out before anyone has a chance to lock Will up in a nut house.

My Thoughts: If you like romantic comedies, you'll love The Ghost and the Goth! It's a fun, light read that will have you laughing in no time. The story is told in alternating POV's (points of view) and it flows naturally with two opposite, but perfect for each other, characters. Will is definitely worthy of my fictional boyfriend list, and Alona is hilarious as she tries to understand what being "nice" really means. What I really loved about Alona's character is that even after death she sticks to who she really is- the shallow cheerleader. However as the story goes on, we learn why Alona is the way she is, and we start to see small changes in her that make you love her. Most stories have that cliche cheerleader that turns sweet in no time, Alona has to really work for it and I love it. The story was great and kept you guessing, which is something I always love, and it's not drug out. In the end, I loved it, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

My Rating: 4/5 Dead Cheerleaders
GoodReads Rating: 4.03 stars

Teaser Pleasers:
-"I cleared my throat, trying to drag my eyes away from the sight. What can I say? I'm a leg man."
-"She lifted a shoulder. 'What, I have a thing for white, even teeth, okay? It's not a big deal,' she said, shifting her arms across her chest."

2 comments

  1. Realllyy, want to read this, can't wait to get it :D

    ReplyDelete

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.