Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Pet Sematary" by Stephen King

Publication: November 14, 1983 by Pocket Books
Genre: Horror
Format: Paperback 562 pages
Cover Rating: 2/5

From Goodreads: "Sometimes dead is better...." When the Creeds move into a beautiful old house in rural Maine, it all seems too good to be true: physician father, beautiful wife, charming little daughter, adorable infant son -- and now an idyllic home. As a family, they've got it all...right down to the friendly cat.

But the nearby woods hide a blood-chilling truth -- more terrifying than death itself...and hideously more powerful.

My Thoughts: I am simply TERRIFIED to go to sleep. Much less turn of the lights to do so. This was not my first Stephen King novel- I've read  Rose MadderThe Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and Carrie- however this was the first one that gave me serious, spine-tingling chills.

If You've Seen the Movie: I always loved the original movie, and I thought there's no way this book would scare me as much as it did... I WAS WRONG. While the movie follows the novel pretty accurately  there's just something that big screen can't capture that the words do. King pretty much chooses what he wants to describe in his novels, if he thinks it's not important, he's not going to waste his, or your, time on it. So while the reader doesn't get a detailed image (not even a hair color) of the main character, we do get a very descriptive insight on how the character is feeling and, more importantly, what he is thinking. I felt like I WAS Luis Creed. Which was beyond creepy.

If you loved the movie, then you will definitely love the book.

If You've Never Seen the Movie: Louis Creed has moved to Maine with his lovely family- his wife, Rachel, his 5 year old daughter Ellie, and his 2 year old son Gage. The Creed's quickly fit in with the townsfolk and settle down to life the burbs. However, life never stays smooth for long. Behind the Creed home, just down a little path, lies Pet Sematary. A place where kids have buried their deceased pets since the 1900's... it's harmless enough, if not just a little creepy. It's what lies behind Pet Sematary though that's dangerous. Part of an Indian burial ground, God Swamp Land holds a deadly secret... it can resurrect the dead. And Louis Creed is about to find out the price of playing God.

Deadly creepy, this has got to be one of King's SCARIEST novels ever. Even in his author's note he says that this one is by far his most terrifying- even though fans claim it's The Shining. Perfect for your Halloween read! But BEWARE: I am not easily scared. I'm a chick that loves horror movies, zombies, and slasher flicks. However, this scared the crap out of me. I still have on my light and I am cuddled so close to my boyfriends side of the bed that he's endangered of falling off. Make sure you can handle it before attempting to read it! Because once you start, you won't want to put it down, even if your jumping at every little sound!

My Rating:

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Post a Comment

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.